Saturday, February 2, 2008

Another one of those kind of days

So life with 5 kids takes a little advanced planning. This is Julies forte, she is a planner and a list maker. I'm more of a seat of your pants kind of a guy. Both are good and bad, both drive the other person NUTS. Last night I'm getting ready for work and Julie is going over what we need to get done today:
11:45 Dad and Isaac dropped off for cub scout activity (fire hall VERY cool)
12:10 Drop off Abby for cheerleading
12:50 Home to drop of Sam with care giver (she rocks BTW)
1:15 P/U dad and Isaac
2:00 Go to church for Isaac's pictures and basketball game (Abby was there already)
5:00 Home to get Sam

All with 1 car. Tell next week (can't wait)

All of this seems easy, right? B/C there is a list. So we know that we need to get going around 10 to get 7 people ready.

It all went south about 10 minutes after I got up. I got home from work at 6am. Isaac came and woke me up around 10:15. Fine I popped up and came downstairs. Julie was still resting on the sofa, tis cool with me. Until the door bell rang. Here I am in my undies, Julie has ask me MANY times not to be in my undies, I hadn't been up for 15 minutes yet after 4 hours sleep. I look at Julie like, 'get the door.' She says, "you please." At this point the kids are opening the door and Julie isn't moving. It turns out it's our neighbor, the county Recorder, out campaigning. Now I'm mad, how many times have I been sound asleep and been woke up by Julie to answer the door or phone? She's a bit of a recluse, but come on this time I was in boxers and a t-shirt (the wife beater kind). That did it for me. It's 10:45 I have to get 5 kids dressed and get breakfast ready too. WW-III starts. I started it, I was pissed. I never hold my tongue. Least of all when I'm tired.

By the time we were all dressed to leave it was 11:45 and NO ONE had had breakfast, let alone lunch; I made sure I pointed this out too. And I told Julie it was her fault. Was it? No. It's life. Should Julie have gotten up at 9 - should I have? Maybe both. These are questions that there is no right answer for, someone always will be hurt, mad, bostfull, or just plain stupid about. So we don't asked those questions. If your me you just shout out how you feel and leave damaged goods in your wake. Not very effective I know, but it's what I know.

So how did our day go? Perfectly timed and executed. Thanks in part to flying by the seat of your pants and list/planning. Dang maybe we do need each other. When her plans fall apart I can wing it, when I'm floundering her list reel us back in.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Yin and Yang, baby! Do you think Adam and I are ANYTHING alike?? Not a chance, but it works. The best thing is that you recognize how you both work and respect it. I am quite certain you need each other! You kids are lucky to see two ways to handle situations, gives them balance.